Trouble compiling 1.8.9 Mac OS X Intel

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 16 17:01:56 EDT 2006

Working from the directions online, I have tried to compile GnuCash 1.8.9 on a
new Macbook Pro Intel running OS X 10.4.6 (Darwin 8.6.1). Using Fink, I
installed the various dependencies mentioned on the Software Dependencies page.
I have gotten as far as gettext, when the configure script craps out. As you
can see from the output below, gettext is there, so what do I do now? What is
"lintl"? The help output makes no mention of this option...

checking for library containing gettext... no
configure: error: Cannot find gettext -- do you need to build -lintl?
david$ gettext --version
gettext (GNU gettext) 0.10.40
Copyright (C) 1995-1997, 2000, 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Written by Ulrich Drepper.