Installing finance::quote

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Sun Jun 18 12:06:40 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 14:06 +0200, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 00:54 -0400, David Hampton wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 23:19 -0500, Jerry Criswell wrote:
> >
> > > According to Synaptic Package Manager, the program might be named
> > > "libfinance-quotes-perl" and is marked as installed. I cannot get it to
> > > run in a terminal
> >
> > libfinance-quote-perl is a package name, not a program name.  Does that
> > package include a script called "stockdump.pl".  Can you find the
> > finance-quote-check or dump-finance-quote programs that come with
> > gnucash?
>
> I upgraded from Breezy (where this was working) to Dapper a couple of
> weeks ago. I have also installed 1.9.7 from Sid. And I am now having
> similar problems. libfinance-quote-perl v1.08-1 is installed, but as you
> see from the list of installed files from Synaptic below, although
> stockdump.pl is there, neither finance-quote-check or dump-finance-quote
> is.

You can use stockdump.pl to verify that the F::Q installation is working
properly.  The finance-quote-check an dump-finance-quote programs are
installed as part of gnucash, not libfinance-quote-perl.  (You're only
one of many to misunderstand this.)  These programs have been renamed to
gnc-fq-check and gnc-fq-dump in gnucash 1.9.7 to try and make it clear
they are part of gnucash.

> However. I also had a problem under Breezy that this (old) version of
> finance-update didn't support currency imports from Yahoo any more. I

Yes, Yahoo changed the format of their website.  You need F::Q version
1.11 for currency quotes to work again.

> had solved this under 1.8.10 by simply not ticking the "import online
> prices" box for the appropriate accounts. I cannot find this box any
> more under 1.9.7.

That part of gnucash was redesigned.  Configuring quote retrieval was
moved from the account settings to the security/commodity settings
(where it makes much more sense).  Retrieval of currency quotes was made
automatic whenever you declare an account as denominated in a currency
other than the locale currency setting.

> Any ideas?

Get F::Q 1.11.

David