Trouble compiling 1.8.9 Mac OS X Intel

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Sun Jun 18 12:29:43 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 22:26 -0700, David T. wrote:

> You asked if I had intltool. Setting aside the fact that there isn't anything
> about this on the site, I have installed it. But it's still not working. I keep
> getting the cryptic "do you need to build -lintl?"

There isn't anything about intltool on the gnucash website because
intltool, autoconf and automake are required to compile just about any
program these days.  Its like stating that an ice cube is cold.

> For the heck of it, I tried loading X11 and compiling in the terminal window
> there. Honestly, I do not know what to try. It didn't work, giving XML::parser
> errors, which I installed (after installing expat...)

You could start by reading the file README.dependencies.  It doesn't
specifically have a mac section, but it will give you a good idea of
what other packages gnucash depends upon.

> I am missing something here, but I'm beginning to think that maybe this package
> isn't really ready for the OS X big time.

The program compiles and works very well on a PPC Mac, thank you very
much.  You just need to learn out how to compile software from scratch.

> If anyone has actually compiled on OS X with an Intel machine,
>  please let me know.

If you check your email, someone reported just last night that they were
able to successfully compile and start gnucash on a MacIntel.  The
program then crashed when he opened a register window.  The crash occurs
in the libgnomecanvas library, which is outside the purview of the
gnucash developers.  The same code runs fine on a PPC mac, so there's
some problem with libgnomecanvas on MacIntel that doesn't exist on
MacPPC or Linux.

David