Installing finance::quote

Jeffrey Ratcliffe jrposting at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 19 17:34:19 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 17:30 -0400, David Hampton wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 22:58 +0200, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:
>
> > Right, yes. I've found the new options. The disadvantage with the new
> > approach as far as currencies are concerned is that you get the full
> > list of hundreds, instead of the two or three that you use.
>
> The two or three that you use should automatically be selected by virtue
> of the fact that you have accounts denominated in those currencies.  You
> only need to go through the list of all currencies if you want to
> retrieve additional currency quotes for some reason.

OK. I see. But it would still be nice to be able to filter the list by
name, whether they will download quotes, etc.

> > Should I understand from your comment that the retrieval of currency quotes
> > ignores the "Get Online Quotes" checkbox?
>
> No, it respects the checkbox.  To be backward compatible with 1.8,
> however, gnucash will automatically mark any currency for quote
> retrieval when it is assigned to an account.  Looking at the code, this
> might be a problem for you as the currencies that you are using will get
> automatically set for quote retrieval each time you start gnucash.
> Version 1.9.7 and (as far as I know) all previous versions of gnucash
> are not happy if more than one currency is marked for quote retrieval
> and the retrieval fails because of the changes to Yahoo's web pages.
> 1.9.8 will gracefully handle this situation.

You are right - I tried unticking all currencies, and when I restarted
GnuCash, they were ticked again. 1.9.8 has not yet made it to Sid. I'll
test it as soon as it has.

> I don't know about those, but you can also use CPAN or get the sources
> from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=4232 .  You
> might also be able to use alien on the rpm from
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/extras/development/i386/perl-Finance-Quote-1.11-3.noarch.rpm
> but i don't know if RedHat and Ubuntu use the same install paths.

Thanks for the tip. I'll think I'll wait until until a .deb turns up.
I've had a bitch about it on the Ubuntu Forums. So perhaps something
will happen there.

Jeff