Installing finance::quote

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Sun Jun 18 17:30:52 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 22:58 +0200, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:

> Right, yes. I've found the new options. The disadvantage with the new
> approach as far as currencies are concerned is that you get the full
> list of hundreds, instead of the two or three that you use.

The two or three that you use should automatically be selected by virtue
of the fact that you have accounts denominated in those currencies.  You
only need to go through the list of all currencies if you want to
retrieve additional currency quotes for some reason.

> Should I understand from your comment that the retrieval of currency quotes
> ignores the "Get Online Quotes" checkbox?

No, it respects the checkbox.  To be backward compatible with 1.8,
however, gnucash will automatically mark any currency for quote
retrieval when it is assigned to an account.  Looking at the code, this
might be a problem for you as the currencies that you are using will get
automatically set for quote retrieval each time you start gnucash.
Version 1.9.7 and (as far as I know) all previous versions of gnucash
are not happy if more than one currency is marked for quote retrieval
and the retrieval fails because of the changes to Yahoo's web pages.
1.9.8 will gracefully handle this situation.

> Yeah. Thanks. Dapper has 1.08-1. Can anyone name a repository or give me
> a .deb?

I don't know about those, but you can also use CPAN or get the sources
from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=4232 .  You
might also be able to use alien on the rpm from
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/extras/development/i386/perl-Finance-Quote-1.11-3.noarch.rpm
but i don't know if RedHat and Ubuntu use the same install paths.

David