side-by-side 1.8.12 and 1.9.8

David Van Maren list at vanmaren.us
Fri Jun 23 22:27:02 EDT 2006

On Friday 23 June 2006 10:00, Richard Kleeman wrote:
> I built a standalone deb with checkinstall which you can run side by
> side with the standard Dapper gnucash. Get it here:
>
> http://www.math.nyu.edu/faculty/kleeman/dapper/gnucash-1.9.8_1.9.8-1_i3
>86.deb
>
> It does nothing to the old gnucash and can be executed as follows:
>
> /usr/local/bin/gnucash

This sounds perfect.

But I just downloaded it, and had aptitude look at installing it, and it
brought with it a request to install *lots* of other packages, most of
which appeared to be linux-kernel-2.4-related (I run a 2.6 kernel).

I then told aptitude to *not* install them, and it does not seem to think
that will cause any problems, but it concerns me that this package does
not bring with it any other dependencies (that I can tell).

I thought there would be some other ones that it would insist upon.  I
guess I'm not sure what a "standalone deb" really is, given how aptitude
makes a big deal out of dependencies.

Are you still confident that it is correct?  Aptitude seems dead-set on
warning me that you are "an untrusted source" -- can anyone else on the
list vouch for you?  ;-)

Thanks
DVM