buying and selling stock : 1.8.12

Peter Martin pmartin1438 at wavecable.com
Thu Jun 22 07:13:53 EDT 2006

My system:
uname -a
Linux rotor 2.6.15-25-386 #1 PREEMPT Wed Jun 14 11:25:49 UTC 2006 i686
GNU/Linux

Ubuntu 6.06 dapper distro

gnucash 1.8.12-6ubuntu3

This is an upgrade in OS and the resulting gnucash app from the breezy
distro which had 1.8.10 something.

I liked the previous version in regards to not needing a split when
buying or selling stock.

My setup was:
assets
investments
  |- my stock
  |    |- stock1
  |    |- stock2
  |    |- cash

  |- wife's stock
    same again

I was able to use the cash acct to buy stock and it would register ok,
likewise selling. The current version requires these strange splits
(after reading the manual I'm still pretty dense! and can't get it done
properly) that I don't have accounts for. I was also trying to cancel
one time and got into an endless loop with the "you need to expand the
transaction in order to modify it's exchange rate" message. 'xkill'ed
out of it.

I'll give the unstable version a try, but would really like to backtrack
to the 1.8.10 version.

Anyone running dapper know how to do that?
Thanks

Peter Martin
Port Orchard, WA US