Automatic quotes

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Tue Mar 7 10:04:27 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 21:40 -0800, Jack Lewin wrote:
> I now have the 5 stocks in my Asset folder, when I bring up the Price
> Editor, it is all there, when I "Get Quotes"  it still goes to the US
> stock markets & gives USD
>
> I do have it set to TSX & in CDN dollars

The stock "type" field where you put the TSX exchange name is only used
by gnucash for display grouping purposes.  It has no effect on pulling
stock quotes.

The "yahoo" quote source from Finance::Quote can pull quotes from many
different stock exchanges.  A bare ticker symbol (e.g. CAL) tells yahoo
that you want a stock quote from the US Exchanges, Continental Airlines
in this case.  A ticker symbol followed by ".TO" (e.g. CAL.TO) tells
yahoo that you want a quote from the Toronto stock exchange for the
Caledonia Mining Corporation.  If you fix your ticker symbols then
yahoo should pull quotes from the Toronto stock exchange in CAD.

You can look up the proper ticker symbols at
http://finance.yahoo.com/lookup.  The list of exchanges supported by
yahoo is at http://finance.yahoo.com/exchanges.

David