Report print fonts too big in version 1.9.2

Brian Dolbec brian_dolbec at telus.net
Tue Mar 7 11:18:09 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-03 at 07:39 -0800, Brian Dolbec wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-03 at 12:16 +0100, José Troncoso wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Two days ago I asked for help to change the size of report print fonts in
> > version 1.9.1. With version 1.9.2 the fonts are still too big, so, for
> > example, the advanced portfolio report doesn't fit in one A4-sized page.
> >
> > This time I've installed Gnucash under Mandriva Linux 2005 with Gnome, and
> > I've searched everywhere in the Gnome control center, the Gconf tree, the
> > Gnome documentation and the Internet for a way to change the default font
> > used by the current version of gtkhtml, but found nothing.
> >
> > It is certainly an issue of gtkhtml, not GnuCash, as Derek said ("we just call
> > into gtkhtml and gnome-print, and they pull their configurations from gnome
> > control center"), so I must apologize for bringing this up here again, but at
> > the same time I can't help thinking that this is a problem that, unless a
> > solution is found, will affect many users of the future stable version of
> > GnuCash.
> >
> > Regards,
> > José Troncoso
>

> I did some more testing and found that you have to set the application
> font smaller in the gnome Desktop=>Preferences=>Font menu.  The bad part
> is that it tends to make the screen font size too small for me.  I set
> it to Vera bitstream sans 9 and it is still larger (but better) than it
> used to be in 1.8.
>

> So it looks like you may need to change font sizes just before you print
> then revert back to a useable font size for working on the display
> again.

Another thing I've found is that the default stylesheet does it's layout
according to the display window width which may not be what it is for
printing.  The Technicolour stylesheet appears to limit the report width
to letter size and then that output is centred in the display window.  I
have not looked into the files to see what or how it is being done.  It
would be nice to have stylesheets available for the different paper
widths that are used around the world.

Maybe there is a ./configure optioin or way to make it use an older
version of gtkhtml that does not have this problem.

On my gentoo system I have many installed versions to choose from.

Installed versions:
	Slot 3: 3.0.10-r1
	Slot 1: 1.1.10-r1
	Slot 2: 2.6.3