Bank account vs assets issue

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Tue Mar 14 00:09:34 EST 2006

Hi all,

I've a problem calculating assets of my small business properly. The
issue at hand: I'm running an office on behalf of another company (not
owned by me), and share this with my own company. As I do not have
access directly to the money of this other company, I take care of many
expenses related to running the office (rent, utilities, coffee,
whatnot). Once a month or so I invoice this to the other company.

Now the problem is that I can not properly calculate the assets of my
own company, and in the same time have a correct bank account. A snippet
of my account tree:

- Assets
	-- Bank account
		-- Expenses/income my company
		-- Expenses/income other company

Now the balance given in "Bank account" is an accurate statement of the
cash at hand - very important. But the Assets total is not only the
assets held by my company, it also includes the balance held by me of
the other company, which (positive or negative balance) is not my money,
and therefor should not be included in my assets.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Wouter.