gnucash, Finance:Quote, and own module

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Fri Mar 17 00:27:30 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 23:04 +0100, Klaus Dahlke wrote:

> after having trouble with VWD.pm from the recent Finance:Quote
module,

There was an updated VWD.pm module posted on the Finance::Quote mailing
list a couple of weeks ago.  I haven't committed it yet to CVS because
I've been focusing on gnucash.  From the poster's comments, the problem
was the advertising on the site.

> I wrote a small own module for Finance::Quote where I collect the
quotes
> from other sources (like the price pages from the respective fond
companies).
> The module is called Custom.pm, located in the same directory as the
other
> modules for Finance::Quote, and after 'export FQ_LOAD_QUOTELET=Custom'
the
> command 'perl stockdump.pl custom xxxxx' produces the desired result.

Could you clean this up and sumbit it to the F::Q site on sourceforge?
Other users might use the same fund companies.

> I just compiled gnucash-1.92 for test purposes. Unfortunately, in the
> drop-down list to assign an external source to a commodity only the
> standard modules from Finance:Quote show up, but not an entry like
> 'custom'.

Gnucash 1.9.x retrieves the list of quote sources from F::Q and compares
them against a know list.  Sources gnucash knows about that have been
removed from F::Q are disabled, and sources added to F::Q will be
displayed.

> Where can I include my Custom.pm into the selection list
> within gnucash? Copying the content into an existing module (e.g.
Deka)
> and assigning 'Deka' as the source to the commodities delivers the
correct
> results. But I'd like to have the link from the commodity definition
to my
> Custom.pm module to not run into problems when Finance::QUote gets an
update.

Not going to happen because of what I said above.  You can either modify
F::Q, or modify both F::Q and Gnucash.  Just modifying gnucash won't buy
you anything except an insensitive menu item.  By far the easiest thing
to do is to modify the file Finance/Quote.pm in your installation and
add your module name to the list of modules near line 170.  F::Q will
then report its existence to gnucash, and gnucash 1.9.x will
automatically add it to the list of available quote sources.

David