out-of-balance

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 17 16:28:58 EST 2006

Quoting "Todd W." <ttop123 at comcast.net>:

> I have an Income:Capital Gain:Taxable:Short-term for 7.02 and a
> balancing 7.02 to the Assets:Investments:...:FundName.

Are you sure that the real gain is only $7.02?

> But I'll admit that stock sales confuse me in GnuCash... when I
> follow the guide's instructions for entering the split transaction in
>  the account's register, once I "Enter" that transaction, it seems to
>  result in two entries in an account's register.      Both entries
> seem to contain the same split detail, but when collapsed, one entry
> shows the Buy for $7.02 and the other shows the Sell for the number
> of shares and the price.  This is confusing to me - is this correct
> behavior?

Yes, you'll see two entries because the register is showing you Splits,
not Transactions.  So, when you have a transaction with two splits into
the same account, that transaction will show up twice.  This is not a
bug, although it might be confusing.

Another question: What Price Source do you use on your balance sheet?
You might want to use the PriceDB source and make sure you have proper
PriceDB entries.

-derek