Reversing a customers payment

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Sat Mar 18 05:24:52 EST 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 12:01 +0200, Jacques Verryn wrote:
> >>I'm having a problem with Account Receivable. I issued an invoice to a
> >>customer which was paid with a stale check. I processed the payment, but
> >>now I need to process the bounced check. I created a transaction that
> >>debits Accounts Receivable and credits the Checking Account. This
> >>transaction updates the bank account and Accounts Receivable to the
> >>correct balance.
> >>
> >>My problem is that the reversal is not picked up when I generate a

> If where is any way to reverse the payment in the gnucash xml file I'm
> will to do that. Else it is time to get my hands dirty and dig into the
> code. Any advice at hacking GNUCash with regards to this subject is welcome.

OK it's maybe not sound in book keeping terms: but you can easily delete
the payment of course. Just go to your bank account here the payment is
made, and delete this one. Then the invoice should end up as unpaid
again.
I've been doing so as I've been testing this feature; to get a hang of
how it works I've been adding payments, and deleted or edited them
later.

Now how to remove an invoice (particularly one that is not posted), that
is another matter! That'd also be a great option.

Wouter.