Reversing a customers payment

Jacques Verryn jverryn at mweb.co.za
Sat Mar 18 05:01:17 EST 2006

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 23:48:58 +0200
>Jacques Verryn <jverryn at mweb.co.za> wrote:
>

>>Hi All
>>
>>I'm having a problem with Account Receivable. I issued an invoice to a
>>customer which was paid with a stale check. I processed the payment, but
>>now I need to process the bounced check. I created a transaction that
>>debits Accounts Receivable and credits the Checking Account. This
>>transaction updates the bank account and Accounts Receivable to the
>>correct balance.
>>
>>My problem is that the reversal is not picked up when I generate a
>>Customer Report.  Also if I look at the customer 's invoice the last
>>invoice is still ticked as paid.
>>
>>Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in the Customer Report and
>>invoice payment code?
>>

>I think the best you can do is change the account of the first deposit to some suspense account, then do the reversed charge into the same account. This wouldn't show on a statement though.
>
>you could also just open an new invoice called "returned check" or something like that.

The problem with approach 1 is, as you said, that it will not show on a
statement. I use the Customer Reports as  Statements that I send to the
customers.

Problem with approach 2 is that generating a extra invoice skews the
books with regards to income. If the original invoice for was for ZAR
200 and I generate an extra invoice the year end income is going to be
ZAR 200 higher than it should be. Another problem is that the reversal
on the bank statement will then also not be reflexed in the books, which
could cause auditing problems.

If where is any way to reverse the payment in the gnucash xml file I'm
will to do that. Else it is time to get my hands dirty and dig into the
code. Any advice at hacking GNUCash with regards to this subject is welcome.

Thanx J