multi-currency issue

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Sun Mar 19 07:59:16 EST 2006

Hi all,

I have a serious issue with multi-currency work.
The situation:
I have an investment account, that has mutual funds in both USD and EUR.
My bank account is in HKD. I have set the exchange rates USD-HKD and
EUR-HKD.

I have now:
-- Assets
    -- AIA mutual funds
        -- EUR funds
            -- Fund 1
            -- Fund 2
        -- USD funds
            -- Fund 3
            -- Fund 4
    -- Checking account

Now I add shares to the funds, some denomitated in USD, some in EUR. The
parent account gets nicely calculated (I assume correctly, haven't
checked it manually - the value at least looks reasonable) in HKD.

However: the purchase of these funds goes wrong. I enter the number of
shares, and the value in the share's currency, the money is transferred
from the checking account that of course is set to HKD. However if I
enter say USD 1000 for the shares purchase, then it deducts HKD 1000
from the checking account, and not the about $7800 it should be after
conversion. The whole conversion does not seem to take place.

How can I fix this?

Wouter.