Difference between Account and All Accounts in search

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Mar 19 14:27:43 EST 2006

Andrew Sackville-West <andrew at farwestbilliards.com> writes:

> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 23:09:08 -0500
> Ben Pracht <bpracht at nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> What was the intended difference between Account and All Accounts in the
>> criterion for search for transactions menu?  It's a little hard for me
>> to figure out because it doesn't seem to work for me.
>
> Account will match any transaction that contains any one of the accounts selected.
>
> All Accounts will match any transaction that contains ALL of the accounts selected.
>
> So if you use Account and select checking and income:salary, you will get all checking account tnx and all income:salary txn.
>
> But if you use All Accounts with the same selections, you will only get those tnx that are both checking AND income:salary.

This is sort of true, but not quite.  The "All Accounts" means
that it will find any transaction for which all the SPLITS in the
transaction are selected.

E.g., if you have a txn between asset:checking, income:salary, and
expense:taxes, you would need to select all three accounts in order
to get this transaction to show up in "All Accounts" mode.  If you
have a fourth account selected then this transaction should still
show up.