NEWBIE QUESTIONS

Stratos Laspas stratos at laspas.gr
Wed May 24 07:58:47 EDT 2006

Josh Sled wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 18:25 +0300, Stratos Laspas wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to do this automatically? I was thinking about something
>> in the lines of:
>>
> [deletia]
>
>> monthly payments for 25 years is a lot of work, I am sure there's some
>> way to do this automagically - is there?
>>

>   Actions > Scheduled Transactions
>
> It doesn't handle over-payment of principal on the mortgage, but
> otherwise the cases you describe are supported.

Thanks for all the input. I searched around a bit about scheduled
transactions as you suggested and I came up with this howto:
http://www.at.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/txns_sxn1.html

In the same guide, the mortgage setup is quite straight-forward, however
there's one more thing:
For pre-defined, re-occurring charges (e.g. for a loan, or charges to
the credit card), split over a period of months or years, the scheduled
transactions module works just fine, but I was wondering if it is
possible to have the transactions entered for all the the time periods
at once (each one in its scheduled time), instead of having them entered
month after month, according to schedule. This way, I would be able to
follow (a) how much I owe right now and (b) how much the total payments
due for all loans, credit cards, etc are going to be for a specific
month in the future (good for budgeting).

Thanks again,

Stratos