Getting off-screen windows onscreen?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed May 24 12:25:56 EDT 2006

  fredex <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>,
  In a message on Wed, 24 May 2006 11:49:05 -0400, wrote :

f> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 10:27:09AM -0400, Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:
f> > Kevin Broderick wrote:
f> > > Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but is there any way to get a "Find
f> > > Customer" or "Find Vendor" window that has appeared above the top of my
f> > > screen to move into the middle of it?  I can't get to the title bar with
f> > > the mouse (as it's above top of the screen), and I'm not coming up with
f> > > any other ways to reposition the window.
f> > >
f> > > This is with 1.9.5 based on r13991 running under XDarwin on OS X 10.4.
f> > > If the repeated appearance of off-screen windows should be filed as a
f> > > bug, I'd be happy to do that; for the moment, though, I'd be even
f> > > happier to get them on screen so I can use them.
f> >
f> > I get this kind of problem a lot with Gnucash and just use the keyboard
f> > shortcut to maximize the window, which brings the entire window contents
f> > onto the screen. I don't know what the maximize key would be in the Window
f> > Manager for XDarwin, but I expect there is such a key.
f>
f> On all Linux desktops I've ever used you can place the mouse pointer
f> anywhere within a window, hold down the ALT key then move the window
f> to where you want it by depressing the left mouse button and dragging.

This depends on the Window Manager (and its settings).  With *my* fvwm
settings, this does not work.  Instead middle button on the root window
pops up a menu of window ops.  One of the operations is 'Move' --
selecting this you can then grab any window (anywhere on the window) and
move it.

f>
f>
f> --
f> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
f>     Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything offered to me as
f>     the result of an unsolicited e-mail message. Nor will I forward chain
f>     letters, petitions, mass mailings, or virus warnings to large numbers
f>     of others. This is my contribution to the survival of the online
f>     community.
f>  --Roger Ebert, December, 1996
f> ----------------------------- The Boulder Pledge -----------------------------
f>
f>
f> MIME-Version: 1.0
f>
f> _______________________________________________
f> gnucash-user mailing list
f> gnucash-user at gnucash.org
f> -----
f> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
f> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
f>
f>

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller at deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk