Cannot Build Successfully on Slackware-10.2

Aaron Krister Johnson aaron at akjmusic.com
Wed May 24 19:47:03 EDT 2006

You wrote:

> I had been using gnucash-1.8.11 on Slackware-10.1 but let my transfer from
> the paper check register slide. I upgraded to Slackware-10.2 and now gnucash
> will not load and run. It was missing libglade.so.0, but I fixed that with a
> soft link. Then it couldn't find libglade-gnome.so.0 and I have been unable
> to find a way to fix that.
>
>     Next I tried to build gnucash-1.8.12, but ran into a bunch of gnome
> dependencies. libgnomeprint won't build from the source tarball because of
an
> error in the code (trying to free already freed memory, apparently). Then I
> discovered a reference to building gnucash-1.8.11 on Slackware-10.1, and
> tried that route by grabbing the ORBit tarball and trying to build that.
> Another make error. I've not seen this type of error before in the 8.5 years
> I've used linux, and I hit it twice in a single afternoon.
>
>     I'm stuck. Gnucash ran just fine on Slackware-8.0 through -10.1, but now
it
> won't fire up. Google turned up a reference to building gnucash for
Slackware
> that's supposed to be on the gnucash Web site but I could not find that. I
> also could not access the wiki/FAQ: access denied.
>
>     If anyone has suggestions on how to get gnucash running again, I'd
really
> appreciate reading them. It's been a long, unproductive afternoon.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich

Hi Rich,

I solved this problem by using all the packages for gnucash version 1.8.11
prepared by 'Jay the Obscure' (do a Google search). These include:

bonobo1x-1.0.20-i686-1jto.tgz*
control-center1x-1.0.2-i686-1jto.tgz*
g-wrap-1.3.4-i686-4jto.tgz*
gal0x-0.19.2-i686-1jto.tgz*
gdk-pixbuf-0.22.0-i686-4jto.tgz*
gnome-libs1x-1.4.1.7-i686-2jto.tgz*
gnome-print0x-0.36-i686-1jto.tgz*
gnucash-1.8.11-i686-2jto.tgz*
gtkhtml1x-1.0.2-i686-1jto.tgz*
guppi0x-0.40.3-i686-1jto.tgz*
libghttp1x-1.0.9-i686-1jto.tgz*
libglade0x-0.17-i686-1jto.tgz*
libxml1x-1.8.17-i686-1jto.tgz*
oaf0x-0.6.10-i686-1jto.tgz*
slib-3a1-noarch-2jto.tgz*

plus, from the slackware ftp mirrors, from version 10.1, the following:

orbit-0.5.17-i386-1.tgz

Hope that works for you!

Best,
Aaron.