Hardware requirement of Gnucash

David Reed drlinux at columbus.rr.com
Tue May 30 08:25:52 EDT 2006

On May 30, 2006, at 6:31 AM, Vel wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have an old Pentium 75 machine with 32MB RAM collecting dust
> somewhere in my house. (Yeah I know it is antique!) Im thinking of
> using it solely for Gnucash for family financial management. I know
> that there are minimalist Linux distro somewhere that runs even on
> diskettes. But before replacing its Win98 with Linux, I just want to
> know if Gnucash would be able to run in such a machine. What is the
> minimum processor and memory requirement of Gnucash?
>
> Vel

Gnucash uses gnome/gtk for the GUI - I don't think that's anywhere
near enough memory to run those w/o your computer spending all your
time swapping. A quick google search for gnome minimum hardware
requirements turned up this 3 year old requirement for Red Hat 9.
Given these, I wouldn't waste my time with that machine.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/shrike-list/2003-March/msg00009.html

CPU:

    - Minimum: Pentium-class

    - Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium-class or better

    - Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better

    Hard Disk Space (NOTE: Additional space will be required for user
data):

    - Custom Installation (minimum): 475MB

    - Server (minimum): 850MB

    - Personal Desktop: 1.7GB

    - Workstation: 2.1GB

    - Custom Installation (everything): 5.0GB

    Memory:

    - Minimum for text-mode: 64MB

    - Minimum for graphical: 128MB

    - Recommended for graphical: 192MB