Hardware requirement of Gnucash

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Tue May 30 08:28:12 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 18:31 +0800, Vel wrote:
> I have an old Pentium 75 machine with 32MB RAM collecting dust
> somewhere in my house. (Yeah I know it is antique!) Im thinking of
> using it solely for Gnucash for family financial management. I know
> that there are minimalist Linux distro somewhere that runs even on
> diskettes. But before replacing its Win98 with Linux, I just want to
> know if Gnucash would be able to run in such a machine. What is the
> minimum processor and memory requirement of Gnucash?

Hmm. I don't think that Product Marketing has delivered the Minimum
Harware Spec Sheet, yet...  :)

32 MB of ram is pretty small; starting gnucash 1.9.6 on a relatively
full datafile here shows a footprint of 52MiB, with an RSS of 29.7MiB.
GnuCash is already notably slow at times on modern hardware, so it'll
probably be painfully slow on a Pentium/75.   If you do try it out, let
us know how it goes?

--
...jsled