Cheque printing.

Brian Dolbec brian_dolbec at telus.net
Tue May 30 22:35:50 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-30-05 at 22:05 +0800, Wouter van Marle wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 10:01 -0400, David Reiser wrote:
> > On May 30, 2006, at 9:41 AM, Wouter van Marle wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for the pointer; I'm going to try this when I'm back in office
> > > this Thursday.
> > >
> > > In a related matter: my cheques have two lines for the amount in
> > > words.
> > > Is it possible to wrap around to the second line? Often amounts are so
> > > complex (my trial cheque was $7998.10) that it doesn't fit on one
> > > line.
> >
> > I don't know the answer to that one. And changing fonts to a smaller
> > size is a non-trivial exercise.
>
> ... not to mention the issues of readability. I consider the current
> default font small enough; and as the second line is longer than the
> first line that's not the best way to win space!
> And now to start printing the amount on the second line is also not that
> great an idea I'd say - then still things can be added to the beginning
> of the number by fraudsters...
>
> And how about printing an asterisk (*) or two at the beginning of the
> numbers? I've seen that quite frequently on printed cheques. An easy and
> effective way of preventing additions to the number.
>
> I think I'll have to open a bug for this.
>
> Wouter.

What I've done for my check printing is create a spreadsheet.  You can
put anything anywhere you want.  In my case I have 2 stubs (quicken
format) check folowed by 2 stubs, one to go with the check, one for my
records.  I also print asterisks in front of the text amount.  I created
a second one for my payroll check printing with all the deduction info
printed in the stubs.

It is much easier than dabbling in guile/scheme, as well as trying to
get the info from gnucash to fill the stub with.  But if you want to ,
there will be a lot of grateful users applauding your efforts.

--
Brian Dolbec <brian_dolbec at telus.net>