ofx direct connect

Jon Hamkins hamkins at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Nov 5 00:33:09 EST 2006

David Reiser wrote:

> Bad news with respect to MSMoney ofx logs. Once set up (and it takes a
> registry modifier every time you  open MSMoney >2006, and it takes the
> 5/16/2006 version of the modifier for the Money 2007 trial version...)
> you only get the ofx data stream, not any address info. I guess for
> MSMoney, one needs to run something like ethereal and mess with those
> logs. Not for the faint of heart.

I spent a couple of hours and couldn't even get the OFX log to appear.
I tried MS Money 2007 and 2006 trials, and yes, I set the registry
modifier after opening.  I noticed that what I was using (Dave's link)
wasn't setting any registry keys for version 16 (the 2007 version), so I
did that by hand, but I still couldn't get any ofx log files.  It was
definitely connecting to the OFX server, because the data did appear in
Money.  I didn't see that there was a 5/16/06 version of the registry
modifier, but I guess from what Dave is saying that wouldn't get me the
information I need anyway.  I'm not opposed to sniffing the packets, I
suppose, but I was hoping it wouldn't come to this.  All this for a few
bytes of information!

Hasn't anyone else ever used gnucash to connect to the Bank of America
California OFX server?

      ----Jon