Some basic 2.01 questions...

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Nov 9 14:46:21 EST 2006

On Thursday 09 November 2006 19:12, Brian Keener wrote:

Hi Brian

> Actually, it's probably more of a "double-entry accounting" question...
>
> So I've got the basics down so far; every payday, I transfer money from
> "Income:Salary" to my main checking account, and as I pay bills/write
> checks I transfer money from checking to expense:auto:gas etc. etc. etc.
>
> Now, that leaves me with ever-increasing values in my expenses columns and
> income columns, which looks a little strange to me.  That's pretty much to
> be expected, I assume?
Yep.

> But what about a few months/years/whatever down the road, is it really
> useful to know I spent $15,823 in gasoline since November 2006?  Can those
> values be filtered so that only the last month or so shows up?

Probably not in that case, but may be useful for tracking gains on investments
etc?
AFAIK, you can't filter the main accounts tree, but you can date-limit the
register views.

What I do for my personal accounts is start with a blank set of accounts at
the start of each tax year - called "book closing" in accountant-speak.  It
has been discussed several times on this list, but not since GC 2.0 was
released (that I remember, anyway).

Book closing isn't in GC yet, but I believe it is under development.

HTH,
Maf.