Some basic 2.01 questions...

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Fri Nov 10 09:15:56 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 07:46:21PM +0000, Maf. King wrote:
> On Thursday 09 November 2006 19:12, Brian Keener wrote:
>
> Hi Brian
>
> > Actually, it's probably more of a "double-entry accounting" question...
> >
> > So I've got the basics down so far; every payday, I transfer money from
> > "Income:Salary" to my main checking account, and as I pay bills/write
> > checks I transfer money from checking to expense:auto:gas etc. etc. etc.
> >
> > Now, that leaves me with ever-increasing values in my expenses columns and
> > income columns, which looks a little strange to me.  That's pretty much to
> > be expected, I assume?
> Yep.
>

> > But what about a few months/years/whatever down the road, is it really
> > useful to know I spent $15,823 in gasoline since November 2006?  Can those
> > values be filtered so that only the last month or so shows up?

What I find useful about this approach is that you can easily picj any
two dates and find what you spent between them with one simple
subtraction.

> Book closing isn't in GC yet, but I believe it is under development.

Really?  I was vaguely thinking of taking on the job myself.  I've
already written a piece of code that totals a year's transactins in the
way that I find useful for tax and budgeting purposes here (yes, it's
*very* specific to my family's requirements, names of specific accounts
built into the code, and all that, and not really in a form
that would be useful to others),  but the so-called "closing the books"
is somnething I was thinking of tackling next.  Only being a computer
programmer and not an accountant, it probably won't be up to
"accepted accounting practices."

What I was planning on doing was:
  reading in a file of transactions
  accepting a cutoff date from the command line
  breaking the set of transactions up into the ones before and after
that date
  Totalling the transactions before said date so as to establish new
initial balances
  writing out two files contiaining the transactions before and after
and, of course, all the undated information, like accound defiitions and
th like.

  Is this kind of what everyone would like to see?  The idea is to do
this *after* all the relevant data has been entered and all accounts
reconciled up to at least the cutoff date.

  The hard part will be to make sure *all* the incidental data in the
data base is accurately copied, even those forms of data that I don't
use in my own accounts.

  I have imagined this as a stand-alone program that operates on the
gnucash file.  But I've heard that gnucash has been in the process of
learning to talk to a separate back-end data base.  If that's the case,
a completely different aproach is probably needed, which may or may not
be more than I want to tackle.

  Does gnucash 2.xx still use the same old file format?  Or is it
radically different?  At the moment I'm still using gnucash 1.8.xx
because my systems are straddling the fence between Debian and Ubuntu
and upgrades are awkward to coordinate reliably (this involves bugs in X
and issues that have nothing to do with gnucash, so I won't elaborate
here).

-- hendrik