"illegal rtd argument" launching GnuCash 2.0.2

mas at macports.org mas at macports.org
Fri Nov 10 05:10:54 EST 2006

 > > I had the same problem with the splash screen appearing and then
 > > disappearing and Gnucash not starting. What worked for me was
 > > downgrading to slib 3a3 [...]

 > Great - sounds like a promising solution! However, I have no idea how
 > to downgrade slib to 3a3... any idea what the 'port' command would
be?

That seems to be the problem -- GnuCash refuses to work with slib
3a4, at least on OS X.

Here's a workaround to get the previous version of slib so you can
continue to use GnuCash until the real problem is fixed:

a) If you had installed slib 3a3 before upgrading to 3a4, you can get
it back with these MacPorts commands:

sudo port deactivate slib
sudo port activate slib @3a3_0

b) If your MacPorts installation never had 3a3, things are a bit more
complicated:

# set up a local port repository
sudo port install subversion
mkdir /Users/Shared/dports
sudo sed -e '1i\
file:///Users/Shared/dports' -i~ /opt/local/etc/ports/sources.conf

# retrieve the slib 3a3 port and put it into the local repository
cd /Users/Shared/dports
svn co --revision 20289 http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/
trunk/dports/devel/slib/ devel/slib/
portindex /Users/Shared/dports

# install slib 3a3 instead of the current version
sudo port uninstall -f slib
sudo port install slib

Of course, if you already have a local repository set up, there's no
need to add another one. ;-)

Hope this helps,
Marc