Income from Retirement Investments?

Jon Hamkins hamkins at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Nov 13 19:01:16 EST 2006

Ariel wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Nov 2006, Dennis Craven wrote:
>
>> For the time being, I've created an Income:RPP Income account to put the
>> offset into, but it seems as though this will inflate my income and
>> therefore skew my monthly Income Statements as this isn't *really* income
>> given that the money is essentially useless to me until I reach 65 years of
>> age.
>
> I had a similar issue, and I decided to create two unconnected files
> (household.xac, and retirement.xac).
>
> Since I can't touch the retirement money anyway, I didn't really need to
> be able to transfer from/to other gnucash accounts with it, and the
> numbers were messing up my reports (not just income but also assets).

To each his own, I suppose.  From my perspective, whether I can get at
the money is separate from whether its value is increasing or
decreasing.  I have all my financial information in one file, and my
income is what it is, retirement accounts and all.  If my retirement
accounts are becoming more valuable, I want that to show up on my
income/assets reports.  It's easy to partition it through subaccounts
such as Income:retirement:dividend or Income:dividend:retirement and to
include it or not in reports.

      ----Jon