Live CD of GnuCash

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Fri Nov 17 23:58:39 EST 2006

Wouldn't you be better off exporting your tax data in a form that your
accountant understands?  It will save your accountant's time, and ours charge
by the hour.  You can set up your accounts as tax-related.  Gnucash will
export your data in TXF format, which, I think, is standard for
computer-generated.  Until I got MYOB, I used to give my accountant not much
more than a Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet.  Gnucash will generate those
for you.

Doug.

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:39 am, Andrew Greig wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am about to send my tax data off to the accountant for his preparation
> of my income tax return.  This last year I have used GnuCash exclusively
> for my records.  I am getting the hang of it, pretty well.  My
> accountant, however, is unfamiliar with GnuCash, but would more than
> likely be better equipped to understand it than I was at first look.
> With that in mind, I have a suggestion to throw into the ring.
>
> Is there someone smart enough AND willing enough to create a GnuCash
> live CD.?
>
> I have used a Mandriva One CD which loads KDE and a host of other
> software.  I can run Gnucash from my data file on a USB key, but CUPS is
> not loaded by default, and although I have 512Mb Ram, loading CUPS
> enables me to print reports, but the system grinds to a crawl.  If a
> GnuCash live CD could be produced which ran Gnucash, Gnome and CUPS, and
> would automount a USB Key, then I believe we would have an excellent
> resource for expanding the user base of GC.  Those of us on the list,
> for example, who  do not prepare our own returns could submit our data
> on a key, include the CD and some instructions for use, and let the
> accountant poke around to his/her heart's content.
>
> Unfortunately, I do not have the skills for such a task, more or less
> dismantling Gnoppix, and building something highly specific, but lean
> 'n' mean.  Does this strike a chord with anyone?
>

> Andrew Greig
> Community Distributor
> OpenOffice.org
> Melbourne, Australia

Who does the best his circumstance allows,
Does well, acts nobly; angels could no more.
   - Edward Young.