Split transactions: multiple entries for one account

Arno Schuring aelschuring at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 24 16:25:49 EST 2006

Josh Sled wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 01:03 +0100, Arno Schuring wrote:
>
>> When I view
>> my salary in the register view, I get three separate lines (on the same
>> date), one representing each sub-transaction in the split. I would
>> rather see just one line with the combined total of these sub-transactions.
>>

> Terminology: You're seeing three lines, one representing each *split* of
> the same *transaction*.

I stand corrected :)
> In any case, please read the Tutorial and Concepts guide; §4.2.2 in
> particular
> <http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/txns-registers1.html#txns-registers-multiaccount2> covers split transactions, using salary as an example.

I have read it, and while it does cover the basic concept (salary, taxes
etc), it does not address my specific situation. I would like to have
one transaction, in which multiple splits reference the same account
(terminology correct?), to be represented by just one line in the
register view (instead of N). At least, that is what I infer from 4.2.3:

"... all you see in the basic register is a summary of the splits
affecting the current account."

>From this I gather that having multiple splits affecting the same
(current) account is actually supported, and that they should be
displayed summary-like. (That, of course, does not mean I understand the
guide correctly...)

Maybe a different example illustrates my problem better; suppose I go to
the local computing shop, and buy a number of items for my pc. If I want
to have all details of this transaction, I would create one transaction
with multiple splits:

  Local PC farm:   -- split transaction --:   -300
  expense:         Wallet:                    -300
  power supply:    Computing Expenses:        +50
  motherboard:     Computing Expenses:        +100
  processor:       Computing Expenses:        +150

However, when I view the computing expenses account, I see three
separate lines:

  Local PC farm:   -- split transaction --:   +50
  Local PC farm:   -- split transaction --:   +100
  Local PC farm:   -- split transaction --:   +150

Instead of (what I'd like to see):

  Local PC farm:   -- split transaction --:   +300

And to complicate matters further, when I select either one of those
three lines and expand the split, I do see the +300 mentioned (and the
others are mentioned as well):

  Local PC farm:   -- split transaction --:   +50
  Local PC farm:   -- split transaction --:   +300
  expense:         Wallet:                    -300
  power supply:    Computing Expenses:        +50
  motherboard:     Computing Expenses:        +100
  processor:       Computing Expenses:        +150
  Local PC farm:   -- split transaction --:   +150

I hope that clarifies my issue better.

Thanks,
Arno