Split transactions: multiple entries for one account

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 24 16:33:59 EST 2006

Quoting Arno Schuring <aelschuring at hotmail.com>:

> I have read it, and while it does cover the basic concept (salary, taxes
> etc), it does not address my specific situation. I would like to have
> one transaction, in which multiple splits reference the same account
> (terminology correct?), to be represented by just one line in the
> register view (instead of N). At least, that is what I infer from 4.2.3:

Sorry, gnucash doesn't do this.  There's no register mode that implements
what you want.  It's been discussed on gnucash-devel, but nobody has
ever filed an RFE on it, and nobody has any immediate plans to implement
this.

> "... all you see in the basic register is a summary of the splits
> affecting the current account."
>
> From this I gather that having multiple splits affecting the same
> (current) account is actually supported, and that they should be
> displayed summary-like. (That, of course, does not mean I understand the
> guide correctly...)

Unfortunately that's not the proper interpretation..  The basic register
only shows the individual splits, whereas other modes can show the expanded
transactions.

[snip]
> I hope that clarifies my issue better.

Yeah..  But GnuCash doesn't do that.  Sorry.