budget totals?

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Sat Nov 25 11:07:33 EST 2006

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 12:30:26AM -0500, Clint & Jennifer Herron wrote:
> It's my turn to ask a question about budgeting:
>
> Having recently switched from gnucash 1.8, I'm not very familiar with
> the budgeting features.
>
> Is it possible to see a total of the money in the various budget
> categories for a particular date?  Let's say I can expect to get paid
> x amount this coming paycheck.  I am preparing a budget for that by
> entering amounts in different categories, but I can't see a running
> total to tell me how much money I have budgeted so far.  I think that
> having that one feature would allow me to switch to using gnucash for
> all my financial needs (I currently calculate my budget,
> envelope-style, in a spreadsheet).

GnuCash doesn't currently show the sums of the budgeted amounts while
you edit the budget.  However, the budget report does show the sums
for accounts with subaccounts.  So, as a work-around, you could
open a budget report and refresh it whenever you want to see the totals.

One important point to remember is that the values you enter for
parent accounts only represent the budgeted amount for that immediate
account, excluding its subaccounts.

Hope that helps,

-chris