Encoding, UTF-8; upgrading from 1.8 to 2.0?

Adam Funk a24061 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 25 15:43:03 EST 2006

On 2006-11-09, Adam Funk <a24061 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've just noticed that when I upgrade from Ubuntu dapper to edgy (in
> the near future) Gnucash will get upgraded from 1.8.12something to
> 2.0.1-3ubuntu3 --- are there any pitfalls to watch out for or
> particular precautions I need to take (apart from backing up data, of
> course)?

I finally got round to carrying out the upgrade and noticed that when
I ran gnucash 2.0 for the first time, it asked me to select the
encoding of my old data file.  I picked ISO-8859-15, which showed the
£ correctly, and everything was fine.  But until now I've been running
gnucash from xterm with

  alias gnucash='LANG=en_GB.iso885915  gnucash'

because my environment is otherwise UTF-8.  Can I now remove this
alias and run gnucash with LANG=en_GB.utf8 in effect?  Or would I need
to "translate" my existing data files?  (And if so, how?)

--
Thanks,
Adam