Encoding, UTF-8; upgrading from 1.8 to 2.0?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Nov 25 22:37:02 EST 2006

Quoting Adam Funk <a24061 at yahoo.com>:

> I finally got round to carrying out the upgrade and noticed that when
> I ran gnucash 2.0 for the first time, it asked me to select the
> encoding of my old data file.  I picked ISO-8859-15, which showed the
> £ correctly, and everything was fine.  But until now I've been running
> gnucash from xterm with
>
>  alias gnucash='LANG=en_GB.iso885915  gnucash'
>
> because my environment is otherwise UTF-8.  Can I now remove this
> alias and run gnucash with LANG=en_GB.utf8 in effect?  Or would I need
> to "translate" my existing data files?  (And if so, how?)

Yes, you should be able to just remove this alias from your environment.
You shouldn't need to translate the data file; you already did that!
GnuCash 2.0 should always store all data files in UTF-8 regardless
of your locale.  GnuCash prior to 2.0 stored your data in whatever your
current locale happened to be, which meant that you could have a data file
with multiple encodings if your locale changed between a UTF-8 locale
and a non-UTF-8 locale!  This should all be fixed as of 2.0.