Gnucash vs. QuickBooks

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 27 18:33:46 EST 2006

Quoting Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net>:

> To use Gnucash you need a computer running a Linux variant. If you are very
> smart you can make it happen on a Mac but you would need a lot of experience.
> I found quickbooks completely unusable and dumped it within a week.
> Gnucash use needs no programming skills.

Just a clarification; building GnuCash on the Mac is RELATIVELY easy,
so I wouldn't say it requires a LOT of experience, but it's certainly
not a "download and install" process..  It's certainly a little more
involved.  But it IS pretty much:

  install X and the SDK from the MacOS and XCODE CDs
  install macports
  run "sudo port install gnucash" from the Terminal
  wait 12 hours (give or take)