Compiling 2.0.2

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 10 20:21:14 EDT 2006

>> make[2]: Entering directory /home/brian/gnucash-2.0.2/po'
>> file=cho ca | sed 's,.*/,,'.gmo \
>>   && rm -f $file &&  -o $file ca.po
>> /bin/sh: -o: command not found
>> make[2]: *** [ca.gmo] Error 127
>
> Can you upload your full config.log file to http://pastebin.ca and
> send the URL?  Also, uploading po/Makefile would be useful, too.

Okay, this failure results from this section in the Makefile around
line 534:

.po.gmo:
        file=`echo $* | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
          && rm -f $$file && $(GMSGFMT) -o $$file $<

It appears that $(GMSGFMT) isn't set.  Lines 47 and 48 show:
GMSGFMT =
MSGFMT = no

So, why don't you have msgfmt?   Your config.log is of two
minds.  At first, around lines 125-130 it says:

configure:4063: checking for msgfmt
configure:4094: result: msgfmt
configure:4104: checking for msgmerge
configure:4135: result: msgmerge
configure:4145: checking for xgettext
configure:4176: result: xgettext

So it clearly finds it..  But then at line 325:

configure:6233: checking for msgfmt
configure:6263: result: no

So it's changed its mind.  Then at 2334 or so:

ac_cv_path_INTLTOOL_MSGFMT=msgfmt
ac_cv_path_INTLTOOL_MSGMERGE=msgmerge
ac_cv_path_INTLTOOL_PERL=/usr/bin/perl
ac_cv_path_INTLTOOL_XGETTEXT=xgettext
ac_cv_path_MSGFMT=no

and then at 2466:

GMSGFMT=''

So, my FIRST guess is that you are missing some gettext, glib-gettext,
or intltool package.  But I don't know why configure bombs out in this
interesting way, or rather why it doesn't bomb out but lets the build
fail later.