Compiling 2.0.2

Brian cabernet at webshield.net.au
Wed Oct 11 07:19:32 EDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 08:21:14PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> >> make[2]: Entering directory /home/brian/gnucash-2.0.2/po'
> >> file=cho ca | sed 's,.*/,,'.gmo \
> >>   && rm -f $file &&  -o $file ca.po
> >> /bin/sh: -o: command not found
> >> make[2]: *** [ca.gmo] Error 127
> >
> > Can you upload your full config.log file to http://pastebin.ca and
> > send the URL?  Also, uploading po/Makefile would be useful, too.
>
> Okay, this failure results from this section in the Makefile around
> line 534:
>
> .po.gmo:
>         file=`echo $* | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
>           && rm -f $$file && $(GMSGFMT) -o $$file $<
>
> It appears that $(GMSGFMT) isn't set.  Lines 47 and 48 show:
> GMSGFMT =
> MSGFMT = no
>
> So, why don't you have msgfmt?   Your config.log is of two
> minds.  At first, around lines 125-130 it says:
>
> configure:4063: checking for msgfmt
> configure:4094: result: msgfmt
> configure:4104: checking for msgmerge
> configure:4135: result: msgmerge
> configure:4145: checking for xgettext
> configure:4176: result: xgettext
>
> So it clearly finds it..  But then at line 325:
>
> configure:6233: checking for msgfmt
> configure:6263: result: no
>
> So it's changed its mind.  Then at 2334 or so:
>
> ac_cv_path_INTLTOOL_MSGFMT=msgfmt
> ac_cv_path_INTLTOOL_MSGMERGE=msgmerge
> ac_cv_path_INTLTOOL_PERL=/usr/bin/perl
> ac_cv_path_INTLTOOL_XGETTEXT=xgettext
> ac_cv_path_MSGFMT=no
>
> and then at 2466:
>
> GMSGFMT=''
>
> So, my FIRST guess is that you are missing some gettext, glib-gettext,
> or intltool package.  But I don't know why configure bombs out in this
> interesting way, or rather why it doesn't bomb out but lets the build
> fail later.

Following your suggestions I did a search on gettext and intltool. Updated
packages for gettext were available from Suse. These were installed.
Intltool did not seem to be installed so this was needed. After these
upgrades/installations running "make" completed without any problems.
Now to my next post
Brian