remaining/occurences

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon Oct 23 10:06:28 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 10:51 -0300, Ethy H. Brito wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:16:48 -0400
> Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org> wrote:
>
> > > would yeld to: "This is occurence 4 of 12" inside Description of a
> > > created register.
> >
> > Besides the fact that the only variable like this exposed is the
> > instance count ('4' in your example), you cannot use these values in the
> > Description or Memo fields; only in the credit/debit formulae.
>
> Would the developers consider implementing it?
>
> It would be of great help to know what instance one is paying and how many are
> left. I have this at my credit card's invoice. The follow up would be much
> more easier.

Sure.  Please file an RFE at
<http://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=GnuCash>.

It'll be a bit easier once the SX cleanup code is completed.  There,
I've made the variables relevant to a particular SX instance separate
and a bit more clear, as well as differentiated "system" from "user"
variables.

The other piece here that would be new is some sort of string/variable
interpolation on the description/memo fields.  I'd imagine we'd want to
use shell-style ${variable} syntax, or something... whatever the case,
that part should be straightforward, too.  Eventually, we'll probably
want a nice general-purpose expression editor for both the existing
credit/debit formula fields as well as this.  But that's a seperate
project, I think.

But I ramble.  Please file the RFE, but be prepared to wait. I'm not
sure if this will make a 2.2.

--
...jsled