Couple of Questions

Crimson Corelio crimson.corelio at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 02:58:38 EST 2006

On 10/31/06, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> 1) What does "Add Reversing Transaction" do on the Transaction menu for a
> register? Help file has nothing.
>
> 2) I suspect that the account structure that got imported from Quicken is
> overly complex. For example, it has a separate account for dividend
> earnings
> for each stock and mutual fund I own or have ever owned. I am thinking
> about
> merging all these separated accounts into a few (tax-related) accounts. I
> would
> go from having Income:Dividends:Amazon, Income:Dividends:Microsoft ...
> etc. to
> simply Income:Dividends:Taxable and Income:Dividends:Tax-Free. But before
> I go
> ahead and do that, I thought I would check with others more experienced
> than I
> in these matters to see whether there might be a good reason to keep all
> the
> different accounts. Is there?

That's how I do it.  Makes things much cleaner and easier, IMO.  I don't see
any downside to it, although it can be worth putting the ticker symbol in
the transaction name, so you can do a quick search on the account and pull
out everything for a particular equity.

3) If I do go ahead and merge these transacttions together, is there a
> re-categorize feature, so that I could move all my transactions at one
> time
> without rekeying each transaction?

ahhh, no.  You can switch into Double Line mode, which will show both
accounts and then just paste in the name of the account you want to switch
them to.  It's actually pretty fast.  Or you could just open up the database
file and do a string replace.

Cheers,