Writing cheques

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Sat Sep 9 09:55:29 EDT 2006

Yes, I understand why it happens.  I am not a programmer, and simply assumed
that the date format set for the program would apply throughout, whether it
came from i18n, or from the config itself. I did raise this a while back
under earlier versions.  I can't remember what I was told back then.

But what  I REALLY asked was this:

' instead of "...and 99/100" the convention here is "...and 99 cents".  I
can see where this is set, but the correct syntax to change it isn't obvious.'

I have found the Scheme file concerned, but I am not sure how to alter it.
The one for cheque sizes is pretty clear.

I rarely print more than one cheque at a time, so I have no difficulty there.

Doug.

On Friday 08 Sep 2006 23:39, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Well, this is the first I remember hearing about this.  Can you
> file an RFE for this?
>
> The qif parser will check through all the date entries and try to
> disambiguate.  The problem, of course, is that QIF /IS/ ambiguous.
> But if you see a date like 2006-13-01 you know exactly what format
> you've got.  Whereas 06-03-01 is completely ambiguous.  So...  the
> parser doesn't its best to figure out what the possible date formats
> are based on the data you've got, and will ask the user to choose from
> the resultant versions.
>
> Yeah, it could probably be updated to make the locale format the
> default choice (assuming the locale date format IS a possible choice).
>
> -derek
>
> Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws at hotkey.net.au> writes:
> > I wouldn't call it a bug, exactly.  It is more of an unnecessary
> > irritation.
> >
> > When importing a QIF, the date format defaults to m-d-y regardless of
> > where I am.  If the result would be ridiculous, it changes to d-m-y.
> > This was present in Version 1.
> >
> > I am in Australia, and have accounts with two banks in Australia.  Only
> > one gives me a choice of date format when downloading.  The other serves
> > up d-m-y without asking.  In Quicken, there is a radio button in the
> > import screen, which stays where it is set.  With Gnucash, the default in
> > this one place cannot be preset.  All other date styles are set in the
> > config.  I suppose that I could edit a Scheme file somewhere and make
> > d-m-y the first alternative in the drop down menu, but what about the
> > "keyboard and monitor" users?
> >
> > If the QIF doesn't match the locale every time, then I think that it is
> > more likely to match it than not.  If somebody has a Swiss bank account
> > or another "overseas" one, he should be prepared to need to watch this,
> > but not somebody using local banks.
> >
> > (BTW, the default currency is GBP, not USD, or even the one at the top of
> > the alphabetical list.  Surely the Brits would expect the date format to
> > match the currency default.  We use their date format.)
> >
> > Doug L.

> >> Define "wasn't corrected"?  What bug are you referring to?  I don't
> >> remember seeing this.  And as for "defaults", well, there's nothing
> >> that says that your QIF creator maps to your current locale.
> >>
> >> -derek
> >
> > --
> > How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting
> > to improve the world.
> >    - Anne Frank.

If you don't have a dream,
How are you going to have a dream come true?
   - Oscar Hammerstein II.