GC checkinstall denied, make install accepted

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 15 10:08:51 EDT 2006

Hi,

Please be sure to CC gnucash-user on all replies...

Heinz-Dieter Bender <hdbender at arcor.de> writes:

> Hi Derek,
>
> you're right, of course, but please excuse the functionalty of my brain.
> I cannot so easily keep things in my mind, but I guess this is a normal
> procedure if you reach the age of 70.

Oh, it's okay.  I'm sorry I came off so snide.  It's just lots
of people say "it failed" without giving any information about
how it failed, so there's no way to do anything than ask for more
information.  It seems a waste of time when the initial query could
provide the failure.

> When I tried to compile GC on my PC, there was an error message indeed,
> but I didn't list it, and because I proceeded to the next step with
> "make install" I really don't recognize the error message before.
> Shame on me.

Okay..  So you built it from source?  Or you installed it by
binary-package?

> Anyway, as a result, GC is running.
> I only wonder why "checkinstall" couldn't make it.

I don't know.  How did checkinstall fail?

> I also wonder why I could install GC-2 in a few seconds on my notebook,
> together with hbci, which also appears in the tools menue. So that means
> there was no collision with any licences - you agree?

What distro does your notebook use?

> If you will tell me what will be the best way to add the hbci-tools on
> my PC (remove and reinstall or edit/change some files), I promise to
> list all error messages that might appear and post it here.

Well, you still haven't said what OS/Distro you use on your PC.
If you build gnucash from source, then you need to add --enable-hbci
when you run ./configure.  If you install binary packages then
the packager needs to have done that.

> Thank you in advance - hdbender

-derek