importing transactions from other systems

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 18 08:59:16 EDT 2006

Rich Duzenbury <rduz at theduz.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been reading up on importing transactions, and have run into a few
> questions which I hope you can help with.  I've got a web based system
> that generates invoices, but then they have to be hand recorded into
> gnucash.
>
> As I understand, gnucash cannot currently import accounts receivable
> invoices or accounts payable bills.  Is this correct?

Yes.

> However, It seems that I should be able to write some code to build a
> file that could be imported into the AR and AP ledgers.  Is this
> correct?

Not quite.  There's no way to import anything into the business
features.  Yes, you could get something into the AR or AP register,
but you might as well just use an Asset or Liability because none
of the business features will accept it.

> Any help and advice on importing invoices or bills, or at least their
> underlying transactions would be greatly appreciated.  I have managed to
> find a few bits on google, but not much regarding AP & AR.

There's no support for doing what you want at this time.  If you're
curageous you can try to work on the QSF Import work that was
unfinished.  That would let you import an XML-format document
containing Invoices or Bills into GnuCash.