Online Banking

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 20 22:35:48 EDT 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 3:00 PM, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

>    Hi,
>
>    I am running GnuCash 2.0.1 that I compiled myself with online
> banking
> enabled..
>
>    Importing QIF works like a charm..
>
>    But I have a question regarding 'online banking'. I am in Canada
> and
> Quicken supports all of the Canadian banks for online banking. That
> is to
> say, it can connect to my bank and download all new transactions
> from inside
> Quicken without using a browser and downloading the QIF file.
>
>    Is this what online banking in GnuCash attempts to do ?

As Derek mentioned, yes. One limitation is that libofx doesn't have
any payment capabilities, so you can't initiate a bill-pay
transaction via GnuCash/AqBanking. The other major limitation is that
AqBanking doesn't have investment/stock buy/sell transaction
capabilities. Dividends work, but purchases and sales end up with
incorrect information.

>    If so, what has to be done to download my new transactions
> directly from
> my bank without having to download the QIF file ?

I'll see if I can get the page up tomorrow night.

You have one major advantage coming from Quicken. All the necessary
connection information for your accounts exists in your OFXLOG files
(in Quicken itself if you're on 2006, in some related directory for
an earlier versions). So you won't have to go slogging through fidata
or other massive sources to find the ofx server addresses and such
(especially useful for checking and savings accounts where Quicken
frequently uses Yodlee as a branding server, masking the data server
address).

>    Thanks

> --
> Justin F. Knotzke