report writer needed: cash available

Dawning Sky the.dawning.sky at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 22:21:29 EDT 2006

On 9/24/06, Tom Yates <madlists at teaparty.net> wrote:

> thanks for the response!
>
> the church's weekly banking run, in the current account, appears as a
> giant split transaction - usually 30-40 small credits, each of which
> balances with another account (usually an income account, but not
> always).
>
> what i want is a report i can run against an income account, which will
> summarise the income by the memo field appearing in the split transaction
> in the current account.
>
> let me see if a short example helps:
>
> suppose i have a weekly banking run transaction, made on 13/1/06, for a
> total credit of 300.00 (description field: weekly banking).  this is a
> split transaction, breaking down:
>
> AMOUNT  BALANCING ACCOUNT               MEMO FIELD
> 150.00  childrens home                  collecting box
> 85.00   new building fund               liz brown
> 65.00   new building fund               steve bloggs
>
> i see that my new building fund account is now showing a total income of
> 150.00, but in the account view, all i see is
>
> 85.00   weekly banking
> 65.00   weekly banking
>
> what i want is a report i can run on the building fund account which will
> print out:
>
> 13/1/06 85.00   liz brown
> 13/1/06 65.00   steve bloggs
>
> if, in addition, it could either sort by that MEMO field (the donor's
> name), that would be even better.
>
> is that any clearer?

I'm no expert of accounting.  But I think this sort of problems can be
more easily dealt with if you create more accounts to keep track of
the transactions.  For example, as soon as you receive a contribution
record it with donor's name and the target account, e.g., new
building, and balance it with a receivable account.  Then once you do
your banking run, transfer the amount from the receivable account to
the bank account.  It's more logical this way, in my opinion.

> --
>
>    Tom Yates
>    Cambridge, UK.

DS