Baffled by reports (and some guessed solutions)

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Mon Sep 25 11:56:31 EDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 08:42:03AM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> >> I'm not sure..
> >
> > I think the dark background is selected, the grey and white is just
> > alternating lines.
>
> I think I'd need to see a screen shot to see what you mean by this.

See attached screenshot.  "Assets" has a white background, "Equity"
grey, and the others are dark.

> >> Reference?  Please use http://cvs.gnucash.org/docs/HEAD/ as the leader
> >> for the reference...
> > This was from the program menu, Help | Tutorial and Concepts Guide.
> > Section 4.7.5 says, in a note section, "More details on the reports
> > will be presented in the Report chapter."  There is no such chapter.
> >
> > I see Help | Contents gets you something different; section 3.4 there
> > talks about reports.  The version I have seems a little behind the
> > program, since 3.4.1.3 doesn't include "Income Statement" or "Budget
> > Report".
>
> What version of gnucash-docs do you have?
2.0.0-1 (Debian package)

>   This is why I suggested
> that URL, as it has the most recent version of the DOCS.
>
> > Final question: When entering a split transaction, I've always wanted
> > an "assign balance to this split" shortcut.  Is there such a thing?
>
> I don't understand..  While you're entering a split transaction, the
> remaining balance should always be on the 'blank split'.  So it should
> be very easy for you.  Are you finding that the register isn't putting
> the remaining balance onto the open split?

Ah, I didn't think to modify the blank split directly.  The remaining
balance is going there.  However, there are some scenarios where this
is a bit awkward.  For example, if I have a transaction that is like a
previous one, the material from the previous one gets copied (which is
good).  What I'd like to do is modify some of the splits, point at the
last one, and hit a shortcut to have it adjusted automatically.  (This
is another Managing Your Money habit: you can hit F8 to assign the
remaining balance in that program).  I see now I could delete that
category and then modify they open split, which is not too bad.

Ross