Shares correct, Price 0 in Accounts tree

John K. Taber jktaber at charter.net
Wed Apr 4 16:38:55 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 12:24 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quoting "John K. Taber" <jktaber at charter.net>:
>
> > I haven't been able to adjust this one.
> >
> > I have a money market fund imported from Quicken. GnuCash shows the
> > correct number of shares, correct price per share after I used Price
> > Editor. But in the Account Tree, the Total (Dollars) remains 0.
> >
> > I've tried a number of things and can't get it right.
> >
> > In contrast, I have a second money market fund with a different company,
> > no apparent difference from the above, but it computes correctly!
> >
> > I'm using GnuCash 1.8.9 under FC3.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> What's your computer's locale setting?
> What's the currency of the buy/sell transactions?
>
> For example, are you sitting in a Euroland locale but using a non-Euro
> currency to buy the shares?
>
> -derek

Well, you made me look. Locale and currency were ok. It turns out that
TYPE in the Commodity editor was misidentified as NYSE, while the
account type in the Editor (in the Account Tree) was Mutual Fund.

The poor thing was confused. So was I.

Using the Commodity editor to change the TYPE to FUND fixed the problem.

Please let me make a human factors suggestion:

Don't surface so many choices to the user. Use defaults, and permit the
user to change them where it makes sense. Fraction is an example. For
mutual funds, don't ask the user, just default to 1/1000. Yet, if the
user has some weird kind of fund, let him click around a bit to find
where to change Fraction to 1/1000000, for example.

If it is a mutual fund, default should be FUND, with an override option
in case it is a closed end fund.

FWIW. I'm thinking of the guy who was distressed that GnuCash is so CPA-
ish.