Odd Vendor Bill

Tuc at Beach House tuctboh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 13:33:45 EDT 2007

On 4/2/07, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> "Tuc at Beach House" <tuctboh at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >      I record all bills as liabilities:A/P . I had an instance where
> someone
> > that autobills my bank account gave me a credit over what my monthly
> bill
> > was. So now in Liabilities:AP there is a -140.01 charge. But instead of
> > carrying over to the next month they issued me a credit. How do I tell
> the
> > bill its paid and then put that against Assets:Checking Account?
>
> So the bill was e.g. $100 but they pulled out $240.01 from your account?
> And then they made a second transaction and gave you the $140.01 back
> into your account?
>
> Well, you can do it in three ways:
>
>   1) You can unpost the last bill, put the credit memo there, and then
> repost.
>   2) You can "process payment" for the extra amount
>   3) You can not worry about it and just apply it yourself to the next
> month.
>
>  Hi,

     No, sorry if I wasn't clear...

     Bill was 59.99 for the month, but apparently the install tech wasn't
supposed to charge me $200 extra so they credited me $200. So the net is my
bill was $140.01. THEN, instead of just carrying it to the next month, they
debited my bank account for 140.01. The next month they charged me the
59.99again, and took the
59.99 out.

     I did have a 2nd question, which I think you answered. I mistakenly
overpaid a different company bill, so wondered how to record that. I think
your "option 2" will work fine for me there.

Thanks, Tuc