Tuc at Beach House tuctboh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 11:37:34 EDT 2007

On 4/9/07, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> "Tuc at Beach House" <tuctboh at gmail.com> writes:
>
> The data file format hasn't changed.  You should be able to load
> a 1.8.12 Unix version into a 2.0.99 Windows version.  Just for
> kicks, what happens if you load the 1.8.12 Unix version into a
> 2.0.5 Unix version, save it out, and THEN send it over to Windows?

      Yes, I thought it was supposed to be as simple as "File->Open". But it
isn't happening that way for me.

     I don't know that I'll be able to get a 2.0.5 Unix version running
right now, but I'll see what I can do. I'll have to see if I have a spare
server to load it on that won't impact other things.

[snip]
> > Or am I misinterpreting compression???
>
> I dont know if you're misinterpreting compression.  Generally, unless
> you told it NOT to, 1.8.x will compress your data file automatically.
> But if you "cat" (or "more", or "less") the data file and it shows
> you that XML snippet, then clearly it's NOT compressed.

      Maybe not having it compressed is part of the standard config from the
FreeBSD ports, but thats the case. So it definitely isn't compressed, so any
indications the program is trying to account for compression are  incorrect
on its part.

> As for the inability to make backups, yes, there was an issue. I was
> running
> > it off a CD. I later moved the file to the server itself just incase
> that was
> > causing more issues than just unable to write a lock.
>
> Ahh, you didn't mention this before!  Then yes, you can ignore the
> "can't make backup" or "can't delete lockfile" messages if it's
> sitting on ReadOnly media like a CD.

     Now that I moved it to a R/W device, I still am seeing :

*   WARN <gnc.backend> [gnc_file_be_write_to_file()] unable to unlink
filename C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Gnucash.TBOH:
Permission denied
*   WARN <gnc.backend> [file_session_end()] Error on g_unlink(C:\Documents
and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Gnucash.TBOH.LCK): 13: Permission denied

     I'm administrator, it better not have permission errors!

> All I tried to do in the trace file is "File->Open" and my file. I am
> trying
> > to open files created on 1.8.12 Unix using 2.0.99 Winderz.  Am I
> > misunderstanding what a "compressed" file is? Like it shows above, it
> doesn't
> > look compressed to me. If anyone wants the file, I'll happily provide
> it.
>
> Well, in trace.1 it looks like you tried multiple times...
>
> I don't have a windows box handy to test so sending me the data file
> wont help.  It's certainly true that what you just sent above (which I
> snipped out above) is NOT compressed.  But windows seems to think it
> is.
>
> > Tuc

     So where do I go from here unless I get the Unix 2.0.5 running?

                           Thanks, Tuc