Andreas Köhler andi5.py at gmx.net
Tue Apr 10 03:33:33 EDT 2007

Hi,

Am Montag, den 09.04.2007, 23:10 -0400 schrieb Tuc at Beach House:
>      Turned out the Knoppix only had gnucash on the DVD, which I couldn't
> burn. I finally found "PCLinuxOS 2007" and was able to load gnucash
> 2.0.5onto it.  My file loaded in fine it seemed. I saved it back out,
> and then
> tried to load it into the Windows version. It claimed to load the file fine,
> but nothing showed up. I went back and saved it out as uncompressed, and
> THAT seems to load into Windows ok. I'm still double checking it.
>
>      SO, to be able to load my 1.8.12 uncompressed files on 2.0.99 Winderz I
> first have to reboot onto a LiveCD and over the network load Gnucash, then
> save it out as uncompressed. A bit of a hike to get there, but I guess
> having to deal with Winderz is like that. ;)

I am just trying to collect some thoughts.  First of all, I see these
"[qof_commit_edit()] unbalanced call - resetting (was -1)" in my log
files too, so I hope to eventually fix them some day.  I will also try
to look at the read-only issue that seems to appear in several
functions.  Meanwhile, please try to remove the read-only flag from your
data file after copying it to your hard disk.  You may have wondered why
GnuCash fails writing a file if you only tried to open it.  It is trying
to convert it from 1.8.x to 2.0.x (that may be as easy as appending
encoding="utf8" to the first line), making a backup and writing the
result to disk.

Regarding GnuCash not showing anything, have you tried File->New->New
Accounts Page?  And can you save and load your data file both,
compressed and uncompressed, on Windows now?

If that all does not help, feel free to send me your file privately.

> Tuc

-- andi5