Windows: Process Starts But No Window Appears

Tom Purl tom at tompurl.com
Tue Apr 17 14:15:19 EDT 2007

I'm trying to use GnuCash on Windows XP with SP 2.  When I execute
gnucash.bat, two processes are started:  gnucash-bin.exe and gconfd-2.exe.
 The processes, however, seem to be hanging because I never see the
GnuCash window.  Here's what I've tried:

* Debugging the process using GDB
    * Nothing appears in the gdb window.  I type "run" to start GnuCash,
and then it just sits there with no output.
* Debugging the process with Dr. Watson
    * This gives me a dump that really doesn't tell me much
* Installing the app as  different user
    * Same results
* Inspecting the running process using Process Explorer
    * Nothing stood out
* Executing gnucash-bin.exe with a --debug flag
    * Didn't seem to do anything
* Letting it run for a really, *really* long time
    * Still no window appeared

Also, I saw on the Windows page on the wiki that someone else was having a
similar problem, but he/she had no possible solution.

Does anyone know what I can try next?  I would love to both help you guys
fix this bug and use GnuCash on Windows.

Thanks in advance!

Tom Purl