Windows: Process Starts But No Window Appears

Andreas Köhler andi5.py at gmx.net
Tue Apr 17 14:43:51 EDT 2007

Hi,

Tom Purl schrieb:
> I'm trying to use GnuCash on Windows XP with SP 2.  When I execute
> gnucash.bat, two processes are started:  gnucash-bin.exe and gconfd-2.exe.
>  The processes, however, seem to be hanging because I never see the
> GnuCash window.  Here's what I've tried:

I suppose you are using the 2.1.0 binary.

> * Debugging the process using GDB
>     * Nothing appears in the gdb window.  I type "run" to start GnuCash,
 > and then it just sits there with no output.

GnuCash is running in the Windows subsystem.  This can be changed in
different ways:
* use editbin.exe /subsystem console
* install ActivePerl (needed for finance::quote anyway, more about that
in GnuCash 2.1.1), use exetype.bat gnucash-bin.exe console
* install MSYS (needed for building GnuCash), fetch
http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/browser/gnucash/trunk/packaging/win32/exetype.pl
and use exetype.pl gnucash-bin.exe console

> * Debugging the process with Dr. Watson
>     * This gives me a dump that really doesn't tell me much
> * Installing the app as  different user
>     * Same results
> * Inspecting the running process using Process Explorer
>     * Nothing stood out

ok.

> * Executing gnucash-bin.exe with a --debug flag
>     * Didn't seem to do anything

see above.

> * Letting it run for a really, *really* long time
>     * Still no window appeared
>
> Also, I saw on the Windows page on the wiki that someone else was having a
> similar problem, but he/she had no possible solution.
>
> Does anyone know what I can try next?  I would love to both help you guys
> fix this bug and use GnuCash on Windows.

What about files like "c:\Documents and Settings\myname\Local
Settings\Temp\gnucash.trace.ABCDEF"?  Or let us play with gconfd-2.exe:

gconftool-2 --shutdown
gconftool-2 --spawn
gconftool-2 --ping && echo "alive" (works even in cmd.exe)
gconftool-2.exe --get /schemas/apps/gnucash/general/auto_decimal_places

You see, I expect a gconfd/orbit2 problem, but I do not know.

> Thanks in advance!

Good luck!

> Tom Purl

-- andi5